La Vista Chingona
How to be a Chingona, according to Sandra Cisneros:
1. Live for your own approval. Center yourself. Be alone. Create your own space.
2 .Discover your own powers. What floods you with joy?
3 .Find true humility and practice it.
4 .Keep your palabra, your word.
5. What are you using to cover or mask your pain? Address it.
6. Your only true possessions are your actions.
7. Seek forgiveness.
8. Live in the present moment.
9. Depression has a purpose if you use it before it uses you. Transform it to light. Compost it through art. If you can’t do it by yourself, see a professional curandera (healer, therapist).
10. Listen to your body.